The ending of summer means roasting marshmallows for gooey s’mores. The S’mores Cookie Bar does not require a campfire but still tastes like the delicious summer treat we all love. This recipe is easy and delicious with the same classic ingredients – mini marshmallows, milk chocolate and graham crackers – and it’s a cookie! Keep reading for more ingredients and directions!
What is a S’mores Cookie Bar?
According to Food & Wine, the first s’mores recipe was part of a Girl Scout Handbook. Originally called “some more” but it’s unclear how it shortened to just s’more. Whatever we call it – it remains the best end-of-summer-treat that I can think of.
Instead of the usual cookie baked individually – the cookie dough is baked in a baking pan. Once cooled, the cookie is cut into squares which results in a cookie bar! Most importantly, cookie bars are thick and chewy!
- 1 large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and measuring spoons
- Parchment paper
- 9inch x 9inch baking pan
- Whisk or Hand mixer
S’mores Cookie Bar Ingredient Breakdown
- Graham crackers: This is the first of 3 main ingredients in s’mores. The whole graham cracker at the bottom gives the cookie bar a foundation and gives a good crunch – like a real s’more!
- Flour, Baking soda, salt: Basic dry ingredients for any cookie. Mixing these 3 dry ingredients together will distribute the baking soda with the flour. The result will be an evenly baked cookie bar!
- Melted butter: Using melted butter helps the cookie bar have an even colour and bake.
- Sugars: Both white granulated and dark brown sugar will tenderize (soften) the s’mores cookie bar.
- Vanilla extract: Artificial vanilla extract is used for essential flavouring.
- Eggs: Holds the cookie bar together, which helps with cutting into squares.
- Marshmallows: The 2nd main ingredient in s’mores. Instead of the giant marshmallow for campfire s’mores, using Mini marshmallows ensures each bite has a chewy marshmallow to enjoy.
- Milk chocolate chip: The last s’mores ingredient. Using milk chocolate gives the s’mores cookie bar the sweetness and milkiness that we enjoy when roasting s’mores.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chip: In addition to milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet (or dark) chocolate chips adds a yummy chocolatey taste.
How to make a S’mores Cookie Bar
- Firstly, prepare the baking dish with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Add whole graham cracker cookies to the bottom of the baking dish. This is the foundation for the cookie bar.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) and mix together.
- Next, using a whisk or hand mixer, mix the melted butter, white sugar, dark brown sugar and vanilla extract with the dry ingredients.
- Beat the eggs one (1) at a time to the bowl. Mix until a dough forms but do not overmix!
- Fold in marshmallows and chocolate chips. The mixture will be thick.
- Pour the s’mores cooke bar dough into the prepared baking dish and using a spatula, spread out the dough.
- Sprinkle marshmallows on top and bake for 40-45 minutes. Immediately out of the oven, add chocolate chips or pieces of a chocolate bar on top.
- The dough will be slightly underbaked, but leave the cookie bar in the baking dish until completely cool.
- Remove from baking dish and slice into squares.
- Reheat as needed and enjoy!
S’mores Cookie Bar
- Honey Graham crackers, whole
- 1 3/4 cup (220g) All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (117g) butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup (100g) white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 room temperature eggs
- 1 cup mini marshmallows + extra for garnish
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips + extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- Prepare a 9x9inch baking pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325F.
- Add whole graham crackers to bottom of tray – about 10.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix together.
- Add the melted butter, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract and mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, mixing for 30 seconds in between each addition.
- Fold in the marshmallows and milk chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Drop the cookie bar dough in the prepared pan. Use the spatula to even out the batter over the entire pan.
- Sprinkle extra marshmallows on top and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Immediately out of the oven, sprinkle milk chocolate chips or milk chocolate bar pieces on top.
- Let cool completely in pan, then transfer to wire rack.