Light and Crispy Oat Flour Waffles is on your next Sunday Brunch menu! This recipe is lactose free and naturally sweetened with maple syrup. With the addition of melted margarine (made of oat beverage), it creates a soft centre and a crispy edge – the perfect waffle!
What is Oat Flour?
Oat flour is made from the nutritious and popular grain – oats! Oats is known to be a breakfast food. However, oats are becoming a staple ingredient in many recipes and food products. This recipe alone uses three (3) oat ingredients – oat flour, oat milk and margarine made with oat beverage.
Although oat flour can be bought directly from the grocery store, making it is just as easy! Using a blender or food processor, blend the oats until it becomes a fine flour. Use as directed by the recipe!
Oat Flour Waffles Ingredient Breakdown
- Oat flour: See above for directions on buying or making homemade oat flour.
- Baking powder: A leavening agent.
- Ground cinnamon: Cinnamon adds warmth and spice to the oat flour waffles.
- Egg: To bind all the ingredients together.
- Margarine: Use margarine made with oat beverage (available from Becel) makes this recipe lactose free (and maybe a bit healthier than normal waffles). Melting the margarine creates the crispy outer edges of the waffles.
- Maple Syrup: Add for natural sweetness. However, leaving out the maple syrup gives an opportunity to pour a generous amount of maple syrup on top!
- Vanilla extract: Add for flavour.
- Oat milk: I use Earth’s Own Oat Milk, available in unsweetened vanilla and unsweetened original. Oat milk is a great alternative to dairy milk, and Earth’s Own Oat milk is gluten-free, nut-free and vegan friendly! (Not sponsored, I just really like oat milk).
How to Make Oat Flour Waffles
- Preheat the waffle iron. I have the DASH Mini Heart Waffle Maker and the Proctor-Silex Waffle Maker (The one I own does not exist anymore). Any waffle maker will work for this recipe. Follow the cooking instructions for the waffle iron you are using.
- While the waffle iron is heating, measure all ingredients into a large mixing bowl then whisk together.
- Once the waffle iron has warmed, scoop the oat flour batter by using a 1/4 cup measuring spoon onto the waffle iron. Cook until done.
- Repeat step 3 for all remaining oat flour waffle batter.
- Add more oat milk to the batter if it becomes too thick.
- Serve the Oat Flour Waffles warm with with maple syrup, fresh fruits and coconut whipped cream!
- Any waffle iron will work for this recipe. Follow the cooking instructions for the waffle iron you are using.
- 1 large mixing bowl for mixing.
- A large whisk to mix the oat flour waffle batter.
- A set of Measuring cups and spoons for measuring ingredients.
If you like using oat flour, try the Spiced Oat Flour Pancakes. These pancakes have cinnamon and nutmeg to add a bit of warmth to your mornings.
Oat Flour Waffles
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Sprinkle of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup oat milk
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Using one mixing bowl, add all ingredients together and mix until combined.
- Using a 1/4 measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the waffle iron.
- Set aside the waffle and continue with the remaining batter.
- Add more oat milk to the batter if batter is becoming too thick.
- Complete step 3 – 5 until all batter has turned into waffles. Serve warm with maple syrup and fresh fruits.