Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that, at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
For the month of January we are reflecting on the last year as well as looking for a fresh start. My New Year’s Resolution is to journal 5 good things that happened to me the previous day and 3 manifestations! Let’s get started!
In this article:
- Why you should start journaling
- How to start journaling
- Prompts for reflection
- Prompt ideas for goals and resolutions
- January National Days
- Self-care journal prompts
Why you should start Journaling
From personal experiences, journaling allows me to express my thoughts and feelings. It helps me process and reflect on the day, either good or bad.
The best thing about journaling is there are no rules on how to write a journal entry. You can write a short story, discuss your favorite character from a Netflix show or the biggest lessons from last year.
Healthline discusses the 6 benefits of a daily writing practice including: reducing stress, helps with processing emotions and helps you to reconnect with yourself.
How to start journaling
- A notebook and a pen/pencil
If you are new to journaling, you don’t need any fancy notebooks or tools. You can start with a simple notebook and a pen or pencil.
Here are a few of my favourite journals and pens:
If writing on a blank page is too intimidating then try guided journals:
These pre-made journals is a great way to get prompt ideas that encourages daily journal writing.
- Find the perfect time for YOU
I like to journal in the morning as part of my morning routine. But you can journal after work, before bed, daily, weekly or monthly. Journaling is what you want it to be.
- Just start
You don’t have to wait until January 1st to begin a journey. Take small steps – especially if you’ve never journaled before – and just start with a first sentence or positive affirmations. See below for January journal prompts for reflecting, goals, and self care!
january Journal Prompts for Reflecting on 2022
- What did you achieve in the past year?
- Which values, beliefs or thoughts do you want to bring into the next year?
- What do you want to leave behind in 2022?
- Reflect on how your beliefs and values changed in 2022.
- Write down your biggest accomplishment from the previous year. Why was that your biggest accomplishment?
- Who supported you during the tough times? Who did you support during their tough times?
- Where did you feel the safest and/or happiest? (This could be a physical location or a person).
Journaling Prompts for 2023 Goals and Resolutions
- What are your goals and New Year’s resolutions for 2023?
- How do you achieve your goals?
- What motivates you to achieve goals?
- Where do you draw motivation from?
- What do you hope to learn this year?
- How do get yourself out of procrastinating? Which methods work better?
January National Days
- January 5th is National Bird Day, what is your favourite bird and why? What qualities does this bird have that you admire?
- January 12th is National Hot Tea Day, What is your favourite tea and why is it your favourite?
- The Lunar New Year is January 22nd – The Year of the Rabbit – the year of Hope. What are you hopeful for this year?
Self Care Journal Prompts
- List 5 things you are grateful for.
- List 3 things you are manifesting this year.
- What are the best ways you take care of yourself?
- How do you take care of yourself daily, weekly, monthly?
- Why is self-care important to you?
- Which methods of self-care work the best?
Try out these January writing prompts and let me know in the comments below or on Instagram if these help your journaling practice!