This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is super moist and full of banana flavour! This recipe has 3 full bananas and the right amount of chocolate chips for a hint of chocolatey flavour. Perfect for breakfast, afternoon snack or tea time.
Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Ingredients
- All Purpose Flour: basic flour choice.
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder: Both act as leavening agents (helps the banana bread rise). Baking soda requires an acid (in this case we used brown sugar) to have a chemical reaction. Since baking soda uses acid from brown sugar to work its ~leavening magic, adding baking powder to help with rising helps to keep the brown sugar flavour.
- Salt, Cinnamon and Vanilla Extract: Essential for flavour.
- Bananas: The star of moist chocolate chip banana bread! The bananas provide moisture and flavour! It is important to use very ripe bananas.
- Eggs: Provides structure.
- Melted Butter: good ol’ fat.
- Brown Sugar: As stated above, brown sugar is needed as an acid for baking soda. But brown sugar tenderizes the banana bread and gives a hint of caramel in each bite.
- Dark chocolate chips: I tried this recipe without the chocolate chips and I felt like something was missing. We are only using 1/2 cup in this recipe, which is enough to get the subtle hint of chocolate in each slice.
- Preheating the oven at the start ensures the oven is evenly at 350F and gives an even bake.
- Grease the loaf pan using butter and flour. Tap out any excess flour.
- Use different mixing bowls for dry and wet ingredients. Whisk the dry ingredients thoroughly and set aside.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients (this includes the brown sugar).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently fold together to prevent over-mixing.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until just combined, do not over-mix!
- This creates a thick, drop batter. Tap the bottom of the baking pan to distribute the batter evenly.
- Garnish with chocolate chips and a banana cut lengthwise.
- Bake for 45-50 mins, add aluminum foil on top if becoming too brown.
- Let cool on wire rack and serve once completely cool.
Looking for more recipes?
Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 200g All purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 330g (about 3) medium bananas + 1 banana for garnish (optional)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 100g melted butter, cooled slightly
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips + extra for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Butter and flour a 9×5 inch baking pan
- Combine all the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon) in a bowl, set aside
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and add in melted butter, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix until combined
- Using a spatula, fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just combined. Do not over-mix this step
- Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until evenly mixed into the batter
- Pour batter into the 9×5 greased baking pan
- Optional garnish: slice banana in half lengthwise and place on-top of the batter along with extra chocolate chips
- Bake at 350F for 45-50 mins, if the banana bread is becoming too brown on-top, cover with aluminum foil. Bake until pick comes out clean
- Let cool completely before serving