Last modified Thursday August 19th 2021
Get ready for perfect homemade brown butter chocolate chip cookies. The brown butter gives the cookies a caramel flavour with crispy edges and soft centres. Perfect for potlucks, picnics and Sunday baking days!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredient Breakdown
- Brown butter: See below for more information
- Flour, Baking soda, Salt: The dry ingredients. There is only 1.5 cups of flour in this recipe, which is a bit smaller than the amount of flour used for Rainbow Chip Cookies. Less flour creates a chewier and flatter cookie (depending on other ingredients)
- Sugars: Brown and white sugars are required for this recipe, do not substitute
- Vanilla extract: The vanilla adds to the nutty and caramel flavour to these chocolate chip cookies
- Dark chocolate chip morsels: Dark chocolate gives the perfect amount of bitterness to the sweet cookie dough. Morsels gives the cookie that ~chunky texture, perfect for days you need a bit more chocolate!
What is Brown Butter?
As per Inspired Taste, brown butter is melting unsalted butter past the melting point to toast the milk solids. By doing this, the butter becomes brown and the milk solids will fall to the bottom of the pan. The end result is a nutty, caramel flavoured butter that you can bake and cook with. Brown butter can be used for cookies, quick breads and sauces for vegetables.
How to make Brown Butter?
In a few simple steps, you can have an amazing ingredient that will make any baked goods ~fancier. Although easy to make, it has a high chance of burning. Keep stirring and have a watchful eye on the butter at all times!
- Start melting unsalted butter using a saucepan over low-medium heat
- Foam will form on top, stir constantly to prevent burning and to move the foam away so you can look at the butter
- As the butter starts to brown, it will have a nutty aroma. Once it starts to brown, take it off the heat and into a heat-safe bowl. Do not leave behind the milk solids at the bottom!
- Use as directed by the recipe
More Recipes with Chocolate Chips
- Add some colour to your day with Soft and Airy Rainbow Chip Cookies, made with rainbow chips and butterscotch chips.
- If you have ripe bananas around, try the Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup dark chocolate morsels
- Brown the butter by melting the butter in a saucepan over low-medium heat. Stir constantly for 5-6 minutes until the butter becomes frothy and starts to brown. Immediately take off the heat and transfer into a bowl, set aside to cool.
- Mix together flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Using a hand-mixer or whisk, mix together the brown butter, brown sugar and white sugar until the dough is a light brown colour. Add in the vanilla extract and eggs, mix until evenly combined.
- Using a spatula, mix in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients to form a cookie dough
- Fold in the dark chocolate morsels with a spatula until the morsels are evenly distributed in the dough.
- Let the dough chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour, preheat the oven to 325F. Prepare 2 baking trays with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Scoop the dough using a spoon or ice cream scoop on to baking trays. The dough will spread out during baking so space out each scoop of dough.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges start to crisp but the middle is still soft. Rotate the pans half way through baking.
- Once cookies are out of the oven, let cool on baking tray for another 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack until completely cool.
If you tried this recipe, leave a comment below!
On Instagram, tag @ashleycbakes and #ashleycbakes so I can see your bakes!