You have scored these awesome basketball chocolate covered OREOS for your next birthday party! Use as party favours, NCAA, NBA or WNBA championship parties or birthday parties! Any basketball lover will enjoy these basketball OREOS including kids or kids-at-heart!
Basketball Chocolate Covered OREOs Ingredient Breakdown
- Orange Candy Melts: Candy melts are available at craft or baking supply stores. Most candy melts do not contain cocoa butter or cocoa solids (the main ingredients in chocolate). But they are used because they are easier to work with and do not require tempering.
- Chocolate Candy Melts: Some chocolate candy melts do contain either cocoa butter or cocoa solids, but do not require tempering.
- OREOS: We can’t have chocolate covered OREOS without the OREOS! I prefer to use “Double Stuf” OREOS, but there are many other flavours available with no changes in instructions.
Learn more about types of chocolate and how to temper chocolate by Liz from the Sugar Geek Show
How To Make Basketball Chocolate Covered OREOs
- Using a microwave safe bowl, microwave the orange candy melts. Every microwave is different, but stir the candy melts every 30 seconds.
- Dip the entire OREO into the orange candy melts, use a fork or offset spatula to scoop out the OREO. Tap the side of the bowl to get rid of extra candy melt. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Repeat this process.
- Air dry or place in the refrigerator until completely hardened.
- Microwave the chocolate candy melts, let cool slightly and transfer to a piping bag. Cut a small hole from the piping bag. Practice piping a few lines (not on your OREOS) to ensure the hole of the piping bag is the correct size. Adjust the size if needed.
- A basketball has 4 lines, first divide the OREO into 3 vertical parts:
- Vertical line 1 is located at the far left, curving towards the middle like a wide smile 🙂
- Vertical line 2 is straight down the middle
- Vertical line 3 is located at the right, curving towards the middle like a wide smile (:
- Lastly, pipe 1 horizontal line in the middle
- Once you have piped all the lines, Air dry or refrigerate the OREOS until completely set.
Looking for more recipes?
Basketball Chocolate Covered OREOS
- 1 bag Orange Candy Melts
- 1 bag Chocolate Candy Melts
- 1 box Double Stuf OREOS
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave orange candy melts until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Do not overheat or the candy melts will be unuseable.
- Take 1 OREO at a time and dip the OREO into the orange candy melts, ensuring that the OREO is completely covered. Use a small spatula or fork, tap the OREO at the edge of the bowl remove any excess candy melt. Transfer the OREO to a baking tray lined with wax paper.
- Let the OREOS dry completely, can store in the refrigerator.
- Once the OREOS are dry, now microwave a small amount of the chocolate candy melts. Using a piping bag and a small piping tip, pipe 4 lines on the OREO. 3 lines vertical on the OREO, and the 4th line horizontal.
- Let the OREOS dry until completely set.